Thursday, May 13, 2010

The be or not to be...NAPPY? The LOOK...

Hello! What's up guys?! Hope everybody is chillin. Today I came across a really interesting article and video on bglhonline.com which is one of my new favorite sites. The web name stands for "Black Girl Long Hair" and it's a great inspiration for black women that are going natural or have already done so. My hair has been natural for about two and a half years now and I'm loving every minute of it. Sometimes I want to turn back but my hair has been really short my whole life. So I thought I should turn it around and stick with something that I haven't done consistently and see where it takes me. It's great because it's low maintenance, cheap (broke actress here! lol) and it makes me feel good and more like myself than I've ever felt before.

Before I was putting in weaves and straightening and all that jazz...you know the drill. Now I don't have a bunch of fake crap waving around in my face, hiding my true beauty. I also realized before that it was making me look much older than my real age. That's not cool. So anyway, I'm reading this article on bglh entitled " The color of beauty: the struggles of black women in modeling" and well I think that pretty much sums it up! I mean, really need I say more?

Every day I wonder how far I'm really going to get in this industry because looks are so crucial. And Lord knows that I don't have a slim pointy nose, small hips, legs the size of a pencil, and straight long flowing hair. I have a fro, a wide nose, and all the makings of the exact opposite of what they usually look for in the industry that I've chosen to pursue. But I know for a fact: I'M STILL BEAUTIFUL! :)

All the time I wonder...should I crack to the pressure and go get a perm, some weave, maybe a nose job if I save enough money? And starve myself to look like a stick figure? Um...yea I don't think so. I'm perfectly comfortable with myself and I hope that I can be lucky enough to not always be type cast and for people to see my real talent. I'm not complaining and bellyaching. Not the case here. I'm just stating the facts. And sometimes you just feel better getting some things off your chest like this. Because these are things some of us ladies think about daily....maybe even too much. So no, I don't plan on making any major physical changes to myself/my body unless it's an inner personal choice that has to do with me solely. Cuz we all know that at the end of the day, I'm still going to be Dobs. I won't wake up any lighter, my nose will stay the way it is (not gonna pull a Montag) and I'll try to stay trained and up to par so that my talent speaks for me and not the other way around.

Big ups to BGLH & ARISE for being so INSPIRATIONAL.

xo,
dobs

No comments:

Post a Comment