Thursday, August 11, 2011

Scripts

Hello all,

Once again I have to begin this blog by saying that it's been too long since I wrote you. But I've been productive at least. Back in Boston for now. The move happened a couple weeks ago & I'm still wrapping my head around yet another move but when a city calls your name, you must answer RIGHT?

Anyway, I have a lot to say but I'm going to focus on this book I'm reading. It's called "What do you say after you say hello?" By Eric Berne m.d. I randomly picked it up at a friends' house & was so intrigued that I had to get it at the library. Eric Berne is the supposed "originator of transactional analysis" (yea I don't really know what it means yet either...) but so far I've found that it's a great read & he's throwing some serious knowledge at me in a Psychology book in a way that I can understand & it's kinda funny which is the only reason why I'm still reading it.

In the last year or two I've been coming into serious adulthood (I guess..or maybe I was already here and just didn't know it yet). I've been questioning the patterns in my life and how to knock off annoying habits & move FORWARD instead of what feels like circles & never-ending mazes.

This book focuses a lot on what I'd like to know without having to lay on some therapists' couch pouring out my deepest feelings into a box of Kleenex. He talks about the "hidden scripts that control our lives..." & dictate who we meet & how we interact with people. Reading it just seems to make so much sense to me right now & I like learning about myself. A 23-yr old entrepreneur/entertainer like me needs a little perspective every now and then if you catch my drift?

SO I'm going to dig myself deep into this book & see what I can find without being too analytical if that's possible. I'll try and keep it practical. For now I'll leave you with a quote:

"Although men are not laboratory animals, they often behave as though they are. Sometimes they are put in cages and treated like rats, manipulated and sacrificed at the will of their masters. But many times the cage has an open door, and a man has only to walk out if he wishes. If he does not, it is usually his script that keeps him there. That is familiar and reassuring, and after looking out at the great world of freedom with all its joys and dangers, he turns back to the cage with its buttons and levers, knowing that if he keeps busy pushing them, and pushes the right one at the right time, he will be assured of food, drink, and an occasional thrill. But always, such a caged person hopes or fears that some force greater than himself, the Great Experiementer or the Great Computer, will change or end it all."

No comments:

Post a Comment