Sunday, November 13, 2011

Brother/Sister Plays

It's very rare that I am moved enough by a piece of artwork to write about it. I could blame it on the fact that it's been too many months since I went to the theatre or an emotional week. But I don't think that's the case here.

Friday night at 8pm I sat down at seat M11 at the Boston Center for the Arts theatre for Company One's Part 2 of the Brother/Sister Plays by Tarell Alvin Mccraney.

So many times during the plays I was on the verge of tears & not because I was sad. The emotional content of the play was spellbinding. But I think to cry would somehow demean the work as if the writer was saying "there's so much more to feel if you can focus and listen well enough". The characters were so much more than their voices booming with anger, their jokes, sexuality or race.

Because just when I thought I had them figured out, I hadn't. Another layer was revealed. The actors took it to the next level. Not a level of talent or "Acting" or a "show" of feelings but what I felt from them was "real feeling"...if that makes any sense? For me it was a flawless performance from an incredibly strong cast. Now LOOK- I'm NOT a professional theatre critic and I certainly don't pretend to be. But Friday night I went to be thinking about this play and I woke up with it on my mind and I couldn't help but write.

Part of my connection to this play stems from the fact that I have a friend in jail right now. A friend that I love deeply and miss every day. And even though he's a few train rides away, he feels far. One of the characters in the play was just released from jail and they make decisions that will ultimately lead them back there. It pained me to watch some parts of the show, not knowing how much time my friend is facing or when I'll be able to see him next. i wonder what he's doing at this very moment. I think "if he'd seen a play like this in his earlier days would he have been moved as I was? Enough to make better decisions in his life. Because that's all life is right? A series of decisions to be made. Well, I made the decision to go to the theatre Friday night and it was a good one.

So as I sit on the MBTA headed to my lame job I wonder...if I wasn't an actress and directly involved with theatre myself, would I be so enamored with this play? I can only hope that the pieces I write will be as cohesive and entertaining as the Brother/Sister plays. I can only hope that the work I produce will capture someone's mind this way. It's a big goal considering Company One's history to produce compelling theatre year after year by fresh playwrights with a great vision. But hey, a girl can dream can't she?

Go see the Brother/Sister Plays! You will NOT be disappointed.

-Dobs

"The question is, do I remain here, or do I go after the things that are calling to me that I'm longing for?"- Tarell Alvin Mccraney (Author of the Brother/Sister plays)

No comments:

Post a Comment