Sunday, May 15, 2011

Head Chef

Yo, I have been seriously neglectful to this blog but it's all for a good cause.

We are now in rehearsals for Oleanna and it has been a journey, adventure and serious learning experience to say the least.

I tremble at the idea of putting up my first production as a company with my own funds and my own vision. But I'm grateful that I have followed through thus far and will be able to successfully finish what I started. There is a lot to be learned in this process about working with people, having your *hit together and being a leader throughout the whole process.

I'm very grateful that someone convinced me out of starring in the show myself because producing is already a lot of work on its own. But I'd also like to point out that as a Producer and captain of this ship, I know now that there needs to be a balance between listening, taking critique/suggestion and doing what you feel is best. We all know the saying about too many cooks being in the kitchen but when you're not used to being in a leadership position, it's hard to understand what being the "Head Chef" really means.

Coming straight off 9-5's where as the associate constantly being told what to do and just getting it done without question was the norm. This producing thing is the exact opposite. And not just producing theatre but being an adult and being a woman has to do with making hard decisions and sticking to them whether the whole clan likes it or not. You can't please everybody right?

Listening does not mean remaining passive when you strongly feel that something different needs to be done about a particular situation. Listening does not mean letting people take advantage and more importantly being a nice person does not mean NOT standing up for yourself when you absolutely must. But then again you have to handle it tactfully so it doesn't come across as egotism and a "my way or the highway" kind of attitude".

Oh, the balances of life!?! I feel secure one day and the next day I feel like I'm tipping way off...? It's a day to day thing I guess...

Thanks for listening,

Dobs :)

No comments:

Post a Comment